Monday, February 26, 2018

Bad Hair Days ?


     While I had fun making today's card, there is a slight note of melancholy.  This image came from My Creative Scoop and their challenge is Color Inspiration Monday.  I was lucky enough to win one of their challenges and I chose this "Rapunzel" image as part of my prize.  Now, the story behind the wisp of sadness.

     I had my hair cut recently.  Not a big deal, right?  Everybody goes for haircuts and hair styling.  But my hairdresser cut 13 inches off my hair and it still hangs below the bottom of my shoulder blades!  So, cutting the hair felt like losing a rather well-loved part of myself.  But the truth is my hair was so long I couldn't sleep without first braiding it or pulling it up into a high ponytail and even then, I'd usually find myself unable to turn over in the night because I was lying on my hair.

     After the cut, I still put it into a ponytail or braid at night - that keeps it out of the way and I'm not sleeping on it.  It's actually kind of thrilling to run a comb through it and get to the end of the hair without having to first pick it up and lay it in my lap to comb the ends of it. 
:-D  So, here's the card that salutes my haircut!


     I colored with ProMarkers, then cut the image and the green frame with an Unbranded die.  For the tail end of the hair, I used a circle die from QuicKutz.  I mounted everything onto a green card front, then added the printed and hand-cut sentiment.  Perfect for celebrating St. Patrick's Day - which I do every year because, not only am I Irish on both side of the family tree, I was born on St. Paddy's!  I was probably 9 or 10 before I discovered the whole country was celebrating something other than my birthday.  lol

     I tied the bow and added the butterfly.  I used left over bits that dropped out of one of my Spellbinders dies.  I took 3 of them, stacked them together, and added them to the front of the bow.  That was all the embellishment this card needed.

      Challenges:
Aloha Friday
Crafting from the Heart
Crafty Catz
Di's Digi Designs
Hiding in My Craft Room
Jo's Scrap Shack
Outlawz Greetings
Outlawz PAM
Pammie's Inky Pinkies

     I hope your weekend was both restful and productive, and that you found some creative time in there somewhere.  Happy Crafting.  NanaConnie

8 comments:

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! my goodness not only is the card wonderful, but it represents YOU! A real life Rapunzel.

I hate going to the hairdresser, not as bad as I used to be, at one time I could swear I could feel every hair being cut LOL. Still don't enjoy the experience and only go when I have to.
Faith
x

Linda Simpson said...

WOW 13 inches, I don't think I have ever had very long hair, I think the longest it has every been is just past my shoulders. A gorgeous card to celebrate "YOU"!
Hugs
Linda xxx

Teresa Arsenault said...

Your card is great and I am fascinated by the story of your hair. I have always LOVED really long hair. My baby-fine hair has never been able to grow longer than a few inches passed my shoulders.

Terri Winske said...

A true tribute card to yourself....my hair has never been much longer than my shoulders, but a few years ago I went back to the "Pixie" cut my Mom loved for us when we were little girls. I love it now too! Great card and beautiful colors. Happy Birthday on St. Patrick's Day...and thank you for sharing this with us at PIP Challenges!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Oh NC, Wow- what a change! I had waist length hair that I cut up to my shoulders many years ago...I will never forget how hard it was to get used to it! Bless you! Your card is sweet as is the image!

jimlynn said...

Oh wow Connie! I had no idea your hair was that long!!! I guess it would be hard sleeping and having it all get in your way. I bet it's still beautiful though. I've always wanted long hair and mine was way too curly for that.
Love your card to and that pretty image. Like the way you spotlighted the end of the hair.
Lynn

Aunty Sue said...

Great card and image and thanks for sharing with us at crafty catz and good luck

Karla Yungwirth said...

What a lovely card and a great story behind it! You were very brave to make a big change like that, so be proud of yourself! Thanks so much for joining us for the Kitty Bee Designs AG Challenge :) Hope to see you again soon!
Hugs, DT Karla