Sunday, February 13, 2011

Grammy's Cookie Recipe

As promised, here's one of Grammy's favorite cookie receipes.  Keep in mind, this goes back many years -- maybe even before I was born and I'm OLD !!!  :-)  She called them "Old Fashioned Blondies", and they are actually more of a cookie bar.  Much faster to make than individual cookies since you bake them all in one pan.

Here's the ingredients:

2 cups brown sugar
2/3 cup butter
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

The above part was typed onto paper that is now quite yellowed with age, but I can make out the additional notes in her own handwriting.

Add any of the following as preferred:
8 ounces grated baking chocolate for chocolate cookie.
1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans).
1/2 cup raisins.
1/2 cup candied fruits.
1/4 cup molasses or maple syrup.  If either of these are added, reduce the number of eggs to 1.

Then the mixing and baking instructions are:
Coat a medium size baking pan with butter, and set aside.  In a saucepan, heat the brown sugar and butter, stirring until the mixture bubbles.  Remove from stove and let cool slightly, then stir in the eggs one at a time, and add the vanilla.  Stir well.  Add the sifted flour, the baking powder, and the baking soda.  Stir well. Spread the mixture into the coated baking pan.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until done.  Cut into rectangles while still warm.

Again, in her handwritten notes:

Add any of the optional ingredients to the mixture before spreading it into the baking pan.  Drizzle small amount of molasses, if desired, over the mixture before baking.

Still sounds good to me, and I've been baking all afternoon.  I don't need to tell you how wonderful my house smells.   Mmmmm, ahhhh, yes! 

I'm guessing in this day and age, you could substitute chocolate chips for the grated baking chocolate (8 ounces would be 1 cup), and you could probably use margarine instead of butter.  Grammy would never have used any substitute for butter but then, she grew up on a farm where they churned their own butter.

I'm not sure how big a "medium" size baking pan is but I know she used a rectangular pan, not a square cake pan, so I'm guessing about 13" x 9", give or take.

If you try this receipe, and love the cookie bars as much as I did, leave me a comment and let me know.

Happy baking!  :-)

One last note, posted by one of my fur babies.



She insists that it's time for me to give some attention to her and stay away from the blog until tomorrow.  G'night!  NanaConnie

2 comments:

Donna Ellis said...

THANKS for the yummy recipe! I can hardly wait to try it out!

helloholley said...

OOOOHHHH, these do sound delish.....I'm on a diet....but maybe I'll have to make them for my kids....and of course test them out first, LOL!!!
Thanks so much for visiting my blog too!!!
Happy craftin'